Tropical Fruit Environmental Policy Question 5
Does the brand have clear objectives to reduce the weight, or increase the sustainability of its consumer packaging and does the brand annually report on these results?
Dutch Question: Heeft het merk [bedrijf] duidelijke doelstellingen om het gewicht van de verpakking te verminderen of de duurzaamheid van de verpakkingen te vergroten en publiceert het bedrijf jaarlijks de resulaten met betrekking tot de consumenten verpakkingen?
German Question: Setzt der Markenhersteller Maßnahmen um, um den Umwelteinfluss der Produktverpackung zu verringern? Werden die entsprechenden Resultate zu den getroffenen Maßnahmen jährlich veröffentlicht?
References and Guidelines
This question is specifically about consumer packaging, like the plastics and cartons, that is used for tropical fruit packaging. The question is also related to aspects EN27 of the GRI Sustainability Reporting Guidelines & Food Processing Sector Supplement.
A brand may also improve the sustainability of its consumer packaging by using environmentally friendly packaging materials, such as FSC-certified cartons or biodegradable wraps.
A ‘Yes’ is applicable when:
- The brand/company publishes clear goals, initiatives or actions to reduce the weight of its consumer packaging material and the brand annually reports on the results.
- The brand/company reports on the consumer packaging volumes and reduction targets or realized reductions.
- The brand/company reports on the use of sustainable packaging materials of the consumer products as a percentage of the total packaging volume. 'Sustainable' here means e.g. FSC or PEFC certified and recycled paper, bio-plastics and reducing aluminum foil. Further, the brand presents targets to increase these percentages. When you find other kinds of claims or certifications, please contact email@example.com.
A ‘No’ is applicable when:
- The brand/company explicitly says no to weight reduction or take back policies for packaging material or improving the sustainability of packaging.
A ‘?’ is applicable when:
- The brand/company does not communicate any information about the take back or weight reduction goals/initiatives/actions for its packaging, if there is any, on its website. Sustainability information should be easily accessible for consumers to make responsible choices.
- [Brand] has reduced the weight of its […type] packaging material by […%] per product (See link/page...).
- [Brand] has achieved an annual take back rate of […%] for its […packaging material] per product (See link/page...).
- [Brand] explicitly says not to [...] (see link/page...).
Answer ?: [Brand] does not communicate any information about the take back or weight reduction goals/initiatives/actions for its packaging, if there is any, on its website. Sustainability information should be easily accessible for consumers to make responsible choices.