Dairy Environmental Policy Question 12
<<back to Dairy question list.
Previous: Dairy Environmental Policy Question 11
Next: Dairy Labor Conditions and Human Rights Question 1
Does the brand (company) have a clear policy to reduce waste?
- Dutch version: Heeft het merk (bedrijf) een duidelijk beleid ter vermindering van overproductie?
- German version: Verfolgt der Markenhersteller eine klare Strategie, um Überprodutkion zu reduzieren?
References and Guidelines
The dairy sector has a major role to play in reducing waste. Dairy has a very short shelf-life, which means once the raw material (dairy) has been processed it has to be consumed very fast. This requires both streamlining the supply and demand, but also having a policy on what to do with left over milk (e.g. donating to "voedselbank").
This question relates to food waste and has nothing to do with packaging related aspects.
The dairy sector reports to a bare minimum about these issues. Please refer to section EN22 of the Global Reporting Initiative . Objectives to reduce waste should be time-bound and be expressed as a percentage on the total waste.
Best Practice: Natuurhoeve works with the Voedselbank. Left over dairy products are donated.
- [Brand] reports the total dairy waste of the company, which is [...], and also has a policy to minimize the dairy waste by [...]% for [year] (see link/page].
- [Brand] explicitly says not to publish the total food waste of the company [...] (see link/page)
- [Brand] does not communicate any information about (the total) dairy waste.
- [Brand] mentions it is minimizing its dairy waste, but it is not clear with what for policy and what the concrete goals are.