Chips Environmental Policy Question 8
Has the brand (company) reduced the weight of its packaging and does the brand have targets to further reduce this?
- Dutch version: Heeft het merk (bedrijf) het gewicht van zijn verpakkingen verminderd en heeft het duidelijke doelstellingen om dit verder te verkleinen?
- German version: Hat der Markenhersteller das Gewicht der Produktverpackungen bereits verringert? Werden Zielsetzungen kommuniziert, um das Gewicht noch weiter zu verringern?
References and Guidelines
This question is related to EU Directive on Packaging and Packaging Waste 2004/12/EC. Article 8 encourages Member States to set up recovery, return and collection systems, meant to guarantee maximum collection and return of packaging and packaging waste. Light weight packaging has a lower carbon footprint compared to heavy weight packaging of the same material 1. The question is also related to aspects EN26 and EN27 of the GRI Sustainability Reporting Guidelines & Food Processing Sector Supplement. For this question, best practices are shown by PepsiCo (brand owner of Lays, Doritos, and Smiths) that has reduced its packaging by more than 350 million pounds in all manufacturing for which they procure packaging over the last five years.
• [Brand] has reduced the weight of its packaging by [amount] and has a target to reduce this by [amount] by [year/timeframe] (see link/page…).
• [Brand] explicitly says not to […].
• Although [Brand] has [reduced the weight of its packaging/a target to reduce the weight of its packaging], it does not communicate information about [the reduction already achieved to date/ targets to increase this…].
• [Brand] does not communicate any information about weight reduction goals/initiatives/actions for its packaging, if there is any, on its website. Sustainability information should be easily accessible for consumers to make responsible choices.