Beer Climate Change Question 5
Has the brand (company) reduced its carbon emissions per unit of beer by at least 10% in the past 5 years?
- Dutch version: Heeft het merk (bedrijf) de uitstoot van broeikasgassen per eenheid geproduceerd bier verminderd met ten minste 10% in de afgelopen 5 jaar?
- German version: Wurde die Klimabilanz per gebrauter Einheit Bier in den letzten fünf Jahren um mindestens 10% reduziert oder kompensiert?
See also previous questions for general references.
Whereas the previous questions are about the absolute carbon footprint of companies, we also want to reward and motivate brands to continuously improve their own performance per unit of beer. Therefore, this question refers to the actual reduction of carbon emissions per unit (hectoliter of beer is the most used unit in reporting by beer companies) achieved over the last five years. In other words this question asks for an improvement of their carbon-efficiency. It is stricter due to a greater percentage in reduction.
This question covers only the company's own operations, including factories. More background information, guidelines and boundary definitions for carbon emissions reporting in the beverage industry can be found here.
A ‘Yes’ is applicable when:
- The brand/company has reduced its relative carbon emissions by 10% per hectolitre of production with the reporting year being in the last 2.5 years.
A ‘No’ is applicable when:
- The brand/company has reduced its relative carbon emissions by less than 10% per hectolitre of production.
- The brand/company has increased its relative carbon emissions in the past 5 years.
A ‘?’ is applicable when:
- The brand/company does not publish its actual carbon emission reductions on the website
- The brand/company has published relative carbon emissions only for one year during the past 5 years
- [Brand] has reduced its relative carbon emissions, by [...] (see link/page...) in the past […] years.
- [Brand] has reduced its relative carbon emissions, by [...] (see link/page...). Brand standards are lower than the average for this sector.
- [Brand] has increased its relative carbon emissions by [...] (see link/page...) in the past 5 years.
- [Brand] does not communicate any information about its relative carbon emission reduction per unit of production if there is one, on its website. Sustainability information should be easily accessible for consumers to make responsible choices.